The small settlement of Koumasa is famous for the imposing gorge of Agios Savvas that starts from the southern side of the village and it is 4 kilometers long.
Tombs from the First Minoan era have been found in the settlement and also there are some findings that prove the existence of a settlement of the Middle and Post Minoan era.
Administratively the village includes the local community of Vagionia, of the Gortyna municipality. It is built 400 meters above the sea level in the northern foot of Asterousia.
49 people live in Koumasa according to the 2011 census.
The village is referred as “Cumassa”, fief of Johannes Morro, in the ducal records of Chandax in 1368. Later on it can be found in many documents.
Koumasa is also stated in the Turkish censuses. After the liberation, it fell under the municipality of Charakas, until 1920 when it was transferred to the rural municipality of Kapetaniana, by the name Koumas.
From 1928, administratively it falls under the Vagionia community.
The place name comes from the word koumos which means little Building for small animal accommodation and protection.