Choudetsi has been developed into a cultural center of Crete during the last years. The village is in the valley that the Lagnos, Korfi, Skala and Vigla Mountains shape, 440 meters above the sea level and 33 kilometers from Heraclion.
Administratively it is under the Archanes-Asterousia Municipality with about 863 residents. Their main occupations are agriculture, trade, tourism and technical professions. They also love music, Cretan rhyming and musical instruments.
The beauty of the village and the love of the villagers for music were possibly the reasons why the musician and teacher, Ross Daly, moved in Choudetsi.
With the help of the former N.Kazantzakis municipality, he founded the Musical Workshop “Lavirinthos” that hosts a museum of traditional musical instruments.
The first reference of the village was in a 1270 record as “Casale Tudeti”. After that it is mentioned in various records.
It is stated with 26 Christian and 5 Turkish families in the Hodec Turkish census. Turks lived in the village till the 1923 population exchange.
In 1881, administratively, Choudetsi was under the Agies Paraskies municipality and the seat of a rural municipality in 1900.
It was the seat of the Choudetsi municipality in 1928.
During the Battle of Crete, the villagers fought heroically against Germans.
The long history of the village is showed by the clay head of the Athena goddess that was found in Flampouriaris, in 1952 and the ruins of an aqueduct from the Hellenic Years.
Parts of statuettes and zodiacs of the Middle- Minoan era were also found in Korfi, in 1961.
Paul Faure supported that the place name of the village came from the Arab word “guds” that means “saint”.
The patron saint of the village is Agios Ioannis Theologos and the church in his honor was founded in 1874. Many but whitewashed frescoes are in the church. The stone icon of Agios Georgios was also found in it.
The churches of Agia Paraskevi, Agios Nikolaos, Agios Antonios, Timios Stavros, Agios Panteleimonas, Agios Paisios, Michail Archagelos, Panagia Zoodochos Pigi and others are also in Choudetsi.