The large village of Mesochorio is in the foot of the Asphentilias hummock in the Asterousia mountains. The settlement is about 55 kilometers from Heraclion.
The beautiful and rich Mesara plain is in the north of the village and Anapodaris river flows a few kilometers away.
627 residents live in the village according to the 2011 census. Their main occupations are agriculture and, particularly, olive crop, vine-growing and the wheat and garden production.
The first reference of the village by the name Messocorio was in a contract of 1279. In the end of the 13th century, the settlement was a fief of Antonius Quirinus. Administratively, at the end of the 19th century, was took in by the municipality of Xarakas and, in 1881, had 197 Christian and 45 Turkish residents.
Regarding the name, according to locals, the residents of the settlements Pentami, Mesoskafi, Kavalaropetra, Gorgiano, Agios Konstantinos, Agios Spiridonas and Agia Paraskevi, moved and lived altogether in the today village, which is in about the middle of all the settlements. That’s why it was called Mesochorio.
The main church is Agia Triada and Agios Ioannis Theologos. In the settlement, there are also many country churches dedicated to Michail Agelos, Timios Stavros, Agios Vlassis and Agia Paraskevi, in the village entrance.