Alagni is a village in the Archanes- Asterousia Municipality and is closely connected to mythology, history and tradition.
Alagni is 25 kilometers from Heraclion, on the way to Arkalochori.
According to the census of 2011, 174 habitants live in the settlement and their main occupation is agriculture and, particularly, the oil and wine production. Many wine factories are in this area, too.
In the east of the village is the Ruma settlement and is the most worth visiting sightseeing. Ruma (the current of the river in the Cretan dialect) was once full of oaks and pine trees. Today it is completely desolated, as its residents suffered by plague and all those who survived moved to Alagni.
Many old sacred utensils were also found in the desolated settlement of Panagia of Ruma.
The largest cluster of winepresses is in the desolated area of Kursamos. The four winepresses with the arched- roof and the vessels were found in the 16th- 17th century.
The temple of Alagonia (a nymph and daughter of Zeus) was in the hummock Tholi. The Venetian Tholi fortress was also in the same hummock.
A Minoan country house in Alagni shows the long history of the village.
Later, in 1583, the village is mentioned by Kastrofilakas as “Alagni”. In 1630 it is also refered by Vasilkata as Alagni.
In the 1671 Turkish census is stated as Alagni with 52 amerces while in the Egyptian census as Alagni with 6 Christian and 7 Turkish families.
The settlement was the transitional see of Arcadia. The residence of the bishop is also preserved near the square of the village.
The patron saint of the village is Agios Vlassis, while in Alagni there are also the churches of Sotira, Michail Archangelos, Agios Georgios (St George) and Panagia, which is of high historical and religious value and in the south side of the village.
The temple of Panagia of Ruma prevails in Ruma.
The temple of Agioi Apostoloi (with two aisles) is in the foot of the Tholi hillock and built in 15th-16th century with the coat of arms of the Venetian Kornari family. Two larnacas are in and out the temple with an inscription of the date 1614.