Pitsidia is a touristic village, about 65 kilometers from Heraclion and a few kilometers from the coastal settlements of Kommos and Matala.
Pitsidia is built 80 meters above the sea level and is one of the oldest villages in the prefecture. It is the first village that developed touristic industry. Today it is an ideal destination especially for families.
There is an equestrian centre in the village that organizes many excursions in the area.
The Pitsidia district is consisted by the Matala and Neo Kalamaki settlements. The 686 people of Pitsidia are occupied by tourism, agriculture, livestock and fishing.
According to the historian Stergios Spanakis, soldiers of Nikiforos Fokas inhabited Pitsidia (see place name) in 961.
Pitsidia is stated for the first time in a document of the Ducal Records of Chandax, in 1369. It is also mentioned in the 1583 census with 89 residents.
The residents of the village were known for their bravery. According to tradition, the residents of Pitsidia killed Triamates in Skillochorio.
The village took its name by the soldiers of Nikiforos Fokas that moved in. They came from Pitsidia of the southern Minor Asia and gave the place name of their hometown to the village.
The churches of Agios Georgios, Agia Paraskevi, Agia Varvara, Agios Ioannis, Agios Panteleimonas in Kommos bay and Agios Stefanos are in Pitsidia.