The Monastery of Agios Georgios Gorgoleimon is on the foot of the Koudouni Mountain, 500 meters above the sea level, near the Kato Asites settlement.
The monastery is very picturesque as it does not use electricity and so the liturgies of the church of the monastery remind the atmosphere of the past.
There are huge oak trees in the churchyard of the monastery. There is also a plane and a cypressus that have been declared preserved natural monuments.
The bust of the brave chieftain, Fragias Mastrachas, is also in the precinct of the monastery. He was killed when he was 75 years old in a battle against the Turks in Asites.
The history of the Monastery starts from the era of the Venetian Occupation. In a 1319, Venetian record, it is called Ai Giorgis Gorgos and used as a cemetery rebuilt on the ruins of an older temple. According to the people of the neighboring village, the old church of Agios Nikolaos was in the place where the monastery is today.
During the Turkish Occupation it was a center of the revolutionary movements due to its place and was blown up by the Turks.
In 1950, the monastery was renovated and distributed all of its property to the villagers in 1966.
There are many views on the place name of the monastery. It is believed that, once, a monk was a guest in the monastery. As the night fell, the monk got very thirsty but the monks of the monastery couldn’t give him to drink water as they had taken it from a well and was opaque. He fell asleep being thirsty and a young man entered in his room and gave him water in a “laini” (i.e. a very big bowl). When he got up in the morning, he tried to find the young man to thank him, but he couldn’t find him anywhere. Then, he noticed that “Ai Giorgis Gorgolainis” was written on the big bowl.
The ruins of the monastery of Agios Antonios are in Petali, near the Agios Georgios Gorgolainis.