The lamb with the askolimproi or skolimoi is delicious and very worth tasting. The recipe cannot be followed only with askolimproi but also using herbs or lettuce.
The Cretans used to eat it in the evening of Easter.
For 4 servings:
About 1 kilo lamb
About 1 kilo askolimproi (or another herb)
1 big onion
1. Brown the onion in a casserole with olive oil. When it is coloured, add and brown the lamb.
2. Wash the herbs very well.
3. Cut the fennel and put it in the casserole.
4. Add enough water to cover the food and let it boil till the meat is cooked. Add more water if it is needed.
5. When the meat is ready add the herbs. Leave the casserole for some more minutes in the heat.
6. When the herbs are ready, remove the casserole from the heat.
7. Stir the eggs and the lemon juice in a bowl. Then, very slowly, add the juice from the casserole into the bowl with a large spoon. After that, put the content of the bowl into the casserole and stir them all.
You can add lemon’s zest for an extra lemon smell.