Monastery of Varsamoneri

Monastery of Varsamoneri

The monastery of Varsamoneri is one of the oldest monasteries in Crete, as it is from the first years of the Venetian occupation.

The temple (with 3 aisles) dedicated to Panagia, Agios Ioannis Prodromos and Agios Fanourios is only preserved from the monastery today.

The male monastery is 54 kilometers south- west of Heraclion and it is included in the Vorizia district administratively.

The northern aisle was built in the beginning of the 14th century and is dedicated to Panagia. Inscriptions from 1332, 1404 and 1407 are also preserved. The southern aisle was built from 1400-1428 and is dedicated to Agios Ioannis Prodromos and the third aisle was built in about 1438 and is dedicated to Agios Fanourios. The frescos of Agios Fanourios are made by the Cretan painter, Konstantinos Rikos.

The restoration of the monastery started after the Second World War under the supervision of the archaeologist N.Platon, and today it continues by the Ephorate of Byzantine Antiquities.

-