The ruins of the fortress of Selinos are on the Fortetza hill, in the south of Palaiochora of Chania. It is a rectangle fortress, as that of Ierapetra, Meramvelo and Fragokastelo. Its only difference is the wall ledge in its north-western part due to the steep ground. There were two-storey buildings in it and towers in the corners of its external walls. A number of small objects mostly ceramics and a temple with frescos were found in the excavations.
The fortress was built for the control of the insubordinate people of the area and of the sea road to Africa. It was built in 1279, destroyed by rebels and re-built in 1325. It was under a siege by Hayreddin Barbarossa in 1539 and, in 1595, it was repaired. In 1653 it was taken over by the Turks and, later, was desolated. In 1867, a non-important fortress on the foundations of the old one was built in order the Turks to control the area. During the German Occupation it was also used for defense purposes.