A very traditional and of high cultural importance village, Voroi, is 2-3 kilometers from Festos in the fertile plain of Mesara.
Administratively Voroi falls under the Festos Municipality and, according to the 2011 census, 738 people live in the area. Their main occupations are agriculture and livestock.
The settlement is divided into two parts, the one, the oldest, is called “Katochori” , and the second which is more modern.
The monastery of Panagia Kardiotissa (monastery dependency of the Varsamoneri monastery) is near the village in the north. The temple is only preserved with beautiful frescos.
The Cretan Ethnology Museum is in the village.
The area was inhabited from the Proto-Minoan era as the archaeological findings prove. The first reference of the village is in a 1394 document of the Ducal Records of Chandax, according to which G. Vutrougha from Agia Triada was healed from an injury caused by Vasilius Vutrughu, resident of the Voroi village.
Later, Voroi is also mentioned in Venetian and Turkish censuses.
In 1995, Voroi was fraternized with the French communities of Camblanes and Meynac.
The village was probably named by Voros, the son of the king of Festos, Radamanthis.
The cathedral of Voroi is the temple of Eisodia of Theotokos.