- Location5 km southeast of Heraklion
- TimelineInhabited from the 7th millennium to Roman times
- ArchitectureMulti-story palace covering 22,000 sq.m. with frescoes and innovative architecture
- HistoryCenter of Minoan Civilization, destroyed in 1700 BC and 1450 BC, later inhabited by Mycenaeans and Romans
- DiscoveryFound by Minos Kalokairinos in 1878, systematically excavated by Arthur Evans in 1900
One of the most important centers of ancient civilization is located just 5 km southeast of Heraklion, in a lush area with olive trees, vineyards, and cypress trees, on the Kefala hill. This is none other than Knossos, the largest and most powerful center of the Minoan Civilization.
Knossos was inhabited from the late 7th millennium until Roman times. Throughout its long history, it experienced constant growth, both in population and power. Evans estimated that Knossos had a population of up to 80,000.
Around 1700 BC, Knossos was destroyed by a major earthquake but was rebuilt. The city was destroyed again in 1450 BC. After this final destruction, Mycenaeans settled in Knossos, though they did not build new palaces. In 67 BC, the Romans took over, establishing a colony called Colonia Julia Nobilis. From this period, the famous Villa of Dionysus with its remarkable mosaics still remains.
During the Byzantine era, Knossos became the seat of a bishop, and remnants of a 6th-century basilica still stand. After the Arab conquest of Crete, Heraklion's port grew in importance, while Knossos slowly faded into oblivion.
Knossos was first identified by Minos Kalokairinos in 1878, with systematic excavations led by Evans beginning in 1900.
The palace covers an area of approximately 22,000 square meters, with the first palace dating back to 2000 BC. A grander palace was built in the mid-15th century.
The palace was multi-story, built with finely cut stones and decorated with magnificent frescoes that likely depicted religious ceremonies. Access was via three entrances located on the north, west, and south sides. Surrounding the central courtyard are four wings. In the western part of the palace are the ceremonial halls, the public storerooms with large pithoi, the sanctuaries, the treasuries, and the Throne Room. The southwestern part houses the Western Court and the Processional Corridor, decorated with frescoes of the "Prince with the Lilies." To the east of this corridor are the Propylaea and the famous Double Horns, a sacred symbol of Minoan religion.
On the eastern side were the royal apartments, which were accessed by a grand staircase, servant rooms, and a sanctuary. The Queen's Apartment, with the dolphin fresco, is one of the most significant rooms. To the north and east of the Queen's Apartment are the main storerooms, and the Zatrikion Corridor (a chess-like game). Further east were the various workshops, as well as the royal storerooms. In the northern wing, the so-called "Customs House" dominates, along with a purification tank and a stone theater. The Paved Road leads from the theater to the small palace.
- Location: 5 km southeast of Heraklion.
- Timeline: Inhabited from the 7th millennium to Roman times.
- Architecture: Multi-story palace covering 22,000 sq.m. with frescoes and innovative architecture.
- History: Center of Minoan Civilization, destroyed in 1700 BC and 1450 BC, later inhabited by Mycenaeans and Romans.
- Discovery: Found by Minos Kalokairinos in 1878, systematically excavated by Arthur Evans in 1900.

